Allison Williams (the actress who plays Marnie in the show Girls) did a half-on, half-off makeup selfie a few months ago, and beauty vlogger Nicki Tutorial recently posted a video about the power of makeup. The half-face makeup selfie has since become a thing. Women are posting their half-face makeup selfies on Instagram as a way of responding to people who shame women for wearing or loving makeup. I won’t even get into how ridiculous it is that our culture tells women we’re supposed to look a certain way and then also shames us for trying to live up to that standard. Ultimately, if a woman (or a man) wants to wear makeup, why should anyone else care or judge?!?
For the pictures below, the left pictures show me with full make up after doing a set of blog pictures, and the right pictures are my half-face makeup selfies. My selfies are not as dramatic as some, but you can definitely see a difference around my eyes. Maybe I really don’t wear as much makeup as most people, or maybe it didn’t show up well in my iPhone selfies. Either way, here are my attempts at the half-face makeup selfie. I’ve included a list below of the products I used in case you’re interested.
Makeup products used:
- Primer: bareMinerals Prime Time Foundation Primer Oil Control
- Foundation: bareMinerals bareSkin Pure Brightening Serum Foundation in Bare Porcelain and bareMinerals Matte Foundation in Fairly Medium
- Finishing Powder: bareMinerals Original Mineral Veil
- Concealer: Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer in Vanilla
- Blush: MAC Mineralize Blush in Gleeful
- Eyeshadow: Maybelline ExpertWear Eyeshadow Trio in Almond Satin
- Eyeliner: Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner in Black and Urban Decay 24/7 Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner in Perversion
- Mascara: Maybelline Lash Sensational Washable Mascara in Blackest Black
- Eyebrow Pencil: Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz in Taupe
- Lipstick: Revlon ColorBurst Lacquer Balm in Whimsical